Pages

Wednesday 27 July 2011

A Taste for Languages

Buongiorno! Salut! Moin! ¡Hola! 你好! こんいちは!

You can call me Gug. I'm a bit of a geek. Particularly about food and linguistics. So, what better than to combine the two and talk to myself about it on the internet? Well, lots of things. But that's not important right now.

I speak English (because I am English), and French and German (in very broad terms). I can sort of understand Spanish and Italian when they are written down, and Old English, for some reason. I have studied Japanese, Chinese, Welsh, Icelandic, Quenya… and basically everything I thought was pretty for half an hour. The trouble is that I never actually need to use these languages, so it all feels a bit pointless.

This is where the challenge comes is: how much can I learn from recipes? Recipes are an easy choice, as they are

  • repetitive - chop, chop, dice, stir, fry, boil, bake, leave to cool. Sugar, flour, onions, garlic. Should be fairly easy.
  • short - rarely more than a page, with pictures.
  • delicious - as long as I don't cock it up too much, I get a meal out of it. 
So, what am I waiting for?

No comments:

Post a Comment